George Takei (Pic: Angela George)
Hollywood’s abuse meltdown continues, as openly gay Star Trek legend and highly respected LGBTQ activist George Takei is accused of sexual misconduct.
On Friday, The Hollywood Reporter published shocking claims by Scott R. Brunton, a former model and actor, that he was sexually assaulted at Takei’s Los Angeles home in 1981.
Brunton, who was 23 at the time, said he met the star, who was then 43 or 44, at a bar and exchanged numbers. The two stayed in touch and reconnected when Brunton broke up with his boyfriend.
Takei called him and invited him out for dinner and the theatre. Later that night, they went to Takei’s apartment. After a second drink, Brunton said he began to feel dizzy and disoriented and passed out on a beanbag chair.
“The next thing I remember I was coming to and he had my pants down around my ankles and he was groping my crotch and trying to get my underwear off and feeling me up at the same time, trying to get his hands down my underwear,” Brunton alleges.
“I came to and said, ‘What are you doing?!’ I said, ‘I don’t want to do this.’ He goes, ‘You need to relax. I am just trying to make you comfortable. Get comfortable.’ And I said, ‘No. I don’t want to do this.’ And I pushed him off and he said, ‘OK, fine.'”.
Brunton said he left the apartment and waited in his car until he felt able to drive home.
While he had considered going to the media, he didn’t think anyone would believe him. Brunton decided to speak out now after becoming infuriated by Takei condemning Kevin Spacey who’s been accused of attempting to molest then-14-year-old actor Anthony Rapp.
“For Kevin Spacey, who claims not to remember the incident, he was the older, dominant one who had his way,” said Takei in a statement last month. “Men who improperly harass or assault do not do so because they are gay or straight — that is a deflection. They do so because they have the power, and they chose to abuse it.”
Takei has also vocally condemned Donald Trump for his treatment of women. Brunton said of the star: “I don’t want anything from him but an apology.”
Takei, 80, who is travelling in Japan, has yet to comment on the allegations against him. The claims are especially shocking as he is an outspoken and respected figure on social media, calling out others for their hypocrisy, bigotry and bad behaviour.
Takei played the iconic role of Sulu in the original Star Trek TV series and six Star Trek films. After coming out in 2005, he became a vocal LGBTQ rights activists and social media commentator. He has more than 10 million followers on Facebook and almost 3 million on Twitter. In 2008, Takei married his long time boyfriend, Brad Altman.
Update: George Takei has denied Brunton’s allegations on Twitter, writing: “The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do.
“Right now it is a he said / he said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago. But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful.
“Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support and love in these difficult times.”