GOLDIN / BLOOM CONVICTS REFUSED BAIL AGAIN
Wed, 4 July 2012Two men convicted in the fatal hijacking of Brett Goldin and Richard Bloom have been refused bail once again.
Nurshad Davids and Jade Wyngaard had applied for bail after serving less than half of their sentence following an amendment to the law, recently passed by parliament. The amendment lowered the minimum sentence that must be served before convicts can apply for parole.
The latest application came after Davids was denied his previous application for parole in November last year, while Wyngaard was refused parole in January.
Western Cape correctional services spokesperson Simphiwe Xaku told SAPA that "their application to be granted parole was dismissed on Wednesday, but noted that they would have another opportunity to apply for parole in July next year.
"The new corrections services act requires that they appear once a year before the parole board; [it's] standard procedure," he said.
Goldin's mother Denise has tirelessly campaigned against the men's repeated attempts to be freed.
A statement from the families of the victims said that "justice has prevailed", but added that "unfortunately Denise will have to face this all over again on July 3 2013".
In April 2006, the naked bodies of Goldin (28), a popular actor, and clothing designer Richard Bloom (27) were found in Mowbray, Cape Town. The two men, who were openly gay, had been shot in the head.
Davids and Wyngaard were found guilty of the kidnapping, hijacking and armed robbery that led to their murder and were sentenced to and effective 12 years in jail. Two other accused, Shavaan Marlie and Clinton Davids, pleaded guilty to the murder and were each sentenced to 28 years in prison.