2009 London Pride Poster
TransLondon, the largest group in the British capital representing transgender people, will boycott London’s annual pride march, set to take place on July 4.
The decision was made at a meeting in which an overwhelming number of the group’s members voted to boycott the event. They declared that “for first time since the group was formed, TransLondon will have no presence in the parade, nor at the rally.
This comes after an incident at last year’s Pride where a number of trans women were denied access by Pride Security Stewards into the ladies bathrooms.
One woman was subsequently allegedly sexually assaulted after being told to use the male toilets. Pride was accused of providing an apology only under threat of legal action, and that it had not taken the discrimination against the trans women seriously.
The group also said that its participation in London Pride was being dictated to by the organisers, in a way “which would pander to the most tired and inaccurate media stereotypes of trans people.”
Christina Alley, co-organiser of TransLondon, said: “Volunteers from a dozen trans groups worked incredibly hard for Pride last year. Members of TransLondon are extremely disappointed at being betrayed, marginalised and stereotyped in this way by Pride. Members have made their disappointment clear in a democratic vote to boycott this year’s march and rally.”
TransLondon also said that it would like to discuss arrangements with other groups for an alternative celebration of the diversity of the LGBTQ community.
“A lot of this is misdirected. Christina is unhappy about the direction of this year’s Pride in terms of funding,” Paul Birrell, chairman of Pride London, told PinkNews.co.uk.
“We’re very sorry TransLondon has chosen not to participate this year. We do wish they’ll get back on board and continue to participate in the event,” he said.