Bail Hearing Rolls Over in LGBTQ+ Cape Town Teen KwaKhanya Mhlanganisi Murder

LGBTQ+ community groups called for justice in the murder of LGBTQ+ Cape Town teen KwaKhanya Mhlanganisi outside the Khayelitsha Magistrates’ Court (Photo: Tamara Wilson)

LGBTQ+ groups and activists gathered at the Khayelitsha Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday as the two men accused of killing Cape Town teen KwaKhanya Mhlanganisi appeared in court as proceedings around their bail applications continued.

The 16-year-old Mhlanganisi was brutally murdered in December 2025 in Site C, Khayelitsha, Cape Town, in what community members and activists believe was a homophobic hate crime. The teenager was reportedly beaten to death and burned after allegedly being targeted with homophobic slurs.

At a previous court appearance earlier this month, both accused reversed their earlier decision not to apply for bail and indicated they would do so, prompting concern and frustration from activists and members of the community who have been following the matter closely.

However, according to Anele Ligunya, Chairperson of Free Gender, accused number one withdrew his bail application once more during the hearing on Tuesday. Ligunya told MambaOnline that the court then focused on the bail application of accused number two.

“Accused number two continued with his bail application process,” Ligunya explained. “They were arguing about why accused number two should remain inside while the case proceeds.”

However, the hearing could not be concluded due to time constraints.

“We ran out of time,” said Ligunya. “The bail application hearing for accused number two will continue again on the 26th.”

The case has drawn widespread attention and outrage following the brutal killing of Mhlanganisi, whose death sparked renewed calls for action against violence targeting LGBTQ+ people in South Africa.

Community members and activists have continued to attend court proceedings in solidarity with Mhlanganisi’s family and to monitor developments in the case, which has been beset by delays.

MambaOnline will continue to report on the status of this case.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Articles

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Mamba Wrap Newsletter

Our FREE weekly newsletter that keeps you updated on the latest LGBTQ+ news and views - delivered straight to your inbox!