The controversial reality show featuring transgender celebrity Caitlyn Jenner will not get a third season.
“After 2 amazing seasons of I Am Cait, it’s time for the next adventure. Thank you E! & thank you to the best girlfriends I could ask for!” Jenner tweeted on Tuesday.
E! Entertainment said in a statement: “We are incredibly proud of the two seasons of I Am Cait, a groundbreaking docuseries that sparked an important and unprecedented global conversation about transgender people, their struggles and triumphs.”
It said that, “Caitlyn and E! have mutually decided not to move forward with another season at this time. She will always remain a part of the E! family, and we look forward to continue following her journey as she appears on Keeping Up with the Kardashians.”
I Am Cait was a ratings success when it was launched but its viewership dropped dramatically during its second season.
While Jenner had a huge impact on the mainstream public consciousness when she came out as transgender last year, she has since been criticised for her conservative political and social views.
She’s also been slammed by some activists for being privileged and out of touch with the reality of most trans people’s lives.
Jenner was named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine and, in April, I Am Cait won the Outstanding Reality Program honour at the GLAAD Media Awards; tying with I Am Jazz, about American trans teen, Jazz Jennings.
Both these shows also made headlines after they were dropped by South African-based African pay TV broadcaster DSTV following complaints from transphobic viewers and the broadcast regular in Nigeria.