It’s come to light that a handmade bomb injured 21 people when it went off in downtown Sao Paulo after Sunday’s gay Pride celebrations. The area contains a number of nightclubs and is frequented by gays and lesbians.
According to the Latin American Herald Tribune, “the bomb explosion scattered shrapnel, injuring many of those at the scene where 21 people had to be treated by a team of doctors and paramedics that had been mobilized for the parade.
Most of the injuries were not serious and only five people had to be taken to hospital, doctors said. Some witnesses said that the bomb was thrown from a building on the square.”
This wasn’t the only homophobic incident at Sao Paolo’s pride, which is considered the biggest Pride event in the world, with over 3 million participants. Police said there had been reports of other attacks on people who took part in the parade, as well as several cases of robbery and assault.
A 17-year-old boy who took part in the parade remains in a coma at a Sao Paulo hospital after being attacked by a group of unknown persons who found him alone on an empty street after the nearly eight-hour parade. Another youth was attacked in Roosevelt Plaza where the march ended, and a third was stabbed in Largo do Arouche Plaza.