The historic Civil Union Act allows same-sex couples to marry. This handy fact sheet – issued by OUT on behalf of the Joint Working Group – gives you the most up-to-date information on how you can make the Act work for you.

Do note that the Civil Union Act is a new piece of legislation and as a result, specific information pertaining to the Act’s regulation and its implementation are presently limited.

1. What is the Civil Union Act?

    This is the law that now provides for the legal recognition of marriages and civil partnerships, collectively referred to as civil unions, between two persons regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

2. What does the Civil Union Act provide to lesbian, gay and transgender couples?

  • A couple has a choice to have their relationship legally registered as a marriage or a civil partnership.

  • A couple will get a certificate that indicates that they have either entered into a marriage or a civil partnership, depending on their choice. Described as a registration certificate, the certificate indicates registration under this Act and is not a marriage certificate under the Marriage Act. The certificate will serve as a legal proof that the two partners are married or civil partnered under this Act.
  • All the legal and material benefits and responsibilities that flow from marriages concluded under the Marriage Act of 1961 will also apply to marriages or civil partnerships concluded under the Civil Union Act (hereafter referred to as “the Act”).

3. Who can conduct marriages and/or civil partnerships under this Act?

  • Any civil marriage officer (e.g. Magistrate; selected government officials and diplomats; special justice of the peace) recognised by the Marriage Act are automatically entitled to conduct marriages and civil partnerships under the Act.

  • Any minister of religion who has been granted authorisation by the Minister and where the religious organisation or denomination has also been granted permission by the Minister. This permission must be granted in writing, allowing the minister of religion and the denomination or organisation to conduct marriages and/or civil partnerships under the Civil Union Act.

4. Important information for ministers of religion who want to be marriage officers under this Act

  • Apply immediately to the Minister of Home Affairs to have your religious organisation or denomination designated as an accredited marriage institution in terms of this Act.

  • Then as an individual religious minister, you will be required to make an application to marry under this Act, after your denomination has made an application.
  • Once you have applied, follow up with the Minister to get a written commitment from her office. It may take time before your application is approved. Even if you are registered to conduct marriages under the Marriage Act, you cannot conduct same-sex marriages under the Civil Union Act until permission is granted by the Minister.
  • You could also refer couples wishing to marry under this Act to a civil marriage officer that you know has a permit to conduct marriages and/or civil partnerships in terms of the Marriages Act or the Civil Union Act.

5. Who cannot conduct marriages and /or civil partnerships under this Act

  • Any marriage officer that works for government and has been exempted in writing by the Minister from conducting marriages and civil partnerships on the basis that it is against his/her religion, belief and conscience.

  • Any minister of religion that has not been granted permission in writing from the Minister to conduct marriages and/or civil partnerships under this Act. Such a person would have applied to the Minister after his or her denomination or organisation had been designated under this Act (see point 4 above).

6. Who qualifies to get married or civil partnered under this Act?

  • Any unmarried person who is over the age of 18 years

  • Any person who has been married before and has proof of divorce or a death certificate of his or her deceased spouse
  • A foreign national with a valid ID or passport

7. Who does not qualify to get married or civil partnered under this Act?

  • Any person who is already married or civil partnered under this Act.

  • Any person who is currently married under the Marriage Act of 1961 or the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act of 1998.

8. Will the marriage or civil partnership under this Act be recognised outside of South Africa?

  • The recognition of marriage and civil partnership under this Act will only be recognised outside of Africa in countries that have a civil union or same-sex marriage with similar provisions as in South Africa.

  • Each country would have to be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
  • Marriages under this Act are more likely to be recognised as marriages abroad, with civil partnerships more likely to attract only civil union (less than marriage in many countries) status.
  • The marriages and civil partnerships under this Act will not be recognised in countries where homosexuality is still penalized by law.

9. Where can couples get married in terms of this Act

  • Any public office, including the department of home affairs and magistrates court in your area.

  • Any private dwelling, including your house.
  • Any other place that is used for the purposes of marriages or civil partnerships.
  • In case of illness, bodily injuries and other physical limitations, the marriage officer may use any other suitable place to marry couples.

10. What documents do you need to be able to enter into a marriage or civil partnership?

  • Identity Document.

  • Affidavit (when you don’t have an ID or passport) confirming your identification.
  • Application forms specific to the Civil Union Act. These are obtainable from the department of home affairs in your area.
  • Divorce decree or death certificate of your deceased spouse, if you were married before.
  • Two witnesses will be required in order to conduct a marriage or civil partnership.

11. Under this Act, the following acts are prohibited and may result in prosecution?

  • Conducting marriages or civil partnerships without written permit from the Minister of Home Affairs, where required.

  • Receiving and/or demanding payment, gifts and/or fees for services rendered in conducting a marriage or civil partnership.
  • Making false representations or false statements.

12. How will this Act affect same-sex partners who have signed domestic partnership agreements and live in domestic partnerships?

  • Couples in domestic partnerships who do not wish to marry or have a civil partnership under this Act will not lose their legal benefit that they currently enjoy under that arrangement.

  • A domestic partnership law will still be dealt with by government early next year.

Get the Mamba Newsletter

Latest Comments
  1. Stella
    Reply -
    • Justin G
      Reply -
      • Captain
        Reply -
  2. mondymia
    Reply -

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Send this to a friend