Bryan Singer (Pic: Gage Skidmore)
Bryan Singer, the openly gay director of the upcoming new X-Men blockbuster, has dropped out of the film’s publicity campaign to defend himself against claims of sexually abusing a teenage boy.
The 48-year-old A-list director, who has helmed previous X-Men films as well as hits such as The Usual Suspects and Superman Returns, has denied the accusations.
On Thursday, he issued a statement about the pending lawsuit, insisting that the allegations “are outrageous, vicious and completely false.”
Singer said that he does not want the scandal to divert any attention away from the global release of X-Men: Days of Future Past next month.
“This fantastic film is a labor of love and one of the greatest experiences of my career. So, out of respect to all of the extraordinary contributions from the incredibly talented actors and crew involved, I’ve decided not to participate in the upcoming media events for the film,” he explained.
He added: “However, I promise when this situation is over, the facts will show this to be the sick twisted shake down it is. I want to thank fans, friends and family for all their amazing and overwhelming support.”
Last week, it was revealed that Singer is being sued by 31-year-old Michael Egan who claims that he was sexually abused by the filmmaker when he was 17-years-old.
Egan, a then aspiring actor, says that the abuse happened at exclusive sex parties in the late 1990s that featured young naked men for the pleasure of a group of Hollywood bosses.
Court documents allege that Singer promised him roles in his films and also forced him to take drugs and alcohol and to have sex against his will.
Egan has since filed similar lawsuits against three other Hollywood executives linked to the alleged teen sex ring.