You’ve probably heard a friend talk about taking PrEP, or maybe you’ve seen a few posts on your Twitter feed about it. You might be curious about what PrEP is; well, we’ve got you covered.
Pre-Exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is a new and exciting way to prevent HIV. In fact, it’s as simple as taking one pill a day to significantly reduce your risk of getting HIV. PrEP has been shown to significantly reduce the risk of HIV infection in sexually active adults and in people who use drugs.
Here’s everything you need to know about PrEP
Top, bottom or versatile, PrEP works a lot like a decent pair of denim jeans. You don’t have to be a label queen. When you take PrEP correctly, it works no matter what kind of sex you’re having or with who.
- Everyone uses PrEP for a different reason. Guys with HIV-positive sex partners love PrEP because it’s more reason not have to let HIV get in between them and their partner.
- PrEP is a safe medication that men all over the world use every day to protect themselves from getting HIV, with little side effects. Some guys do get mild side effects like a runny stomach, but this goes away after a couple weeks. When you see your health care provider, they will check to make sure PrEP is right for you.
- PrEP could be used by gay, bi and other men who have sex with men (MSM), bottom, top, or who are versatile.
With PrEP, you can enjoy a fun and exciting sex life whenever you want to. It’s just one pill a day.
- Starting PrEP doesn’t mean you have to stay on it for the rest of your life. you can stop PrEP depending on what’s going on in your life, but you should do so under the guidance of a healthcare provider.
- You can re-start taking PrEP anytime, visit your nearest healthcare provider for a screening. And keep in mind that it will take at least 7 days for the pill to reach maximum effectiveness.
- When you take PrEP every day, you will have up to 92-99% protection against HIV. That’s because the medication in PrEP prevents HIV from replicating inside your body.
- If you are taking PrEP and having sex without a condom you will still be protected from HIV but it’s always a good idea to get regular check-ups at our clinics to get tested from STIs because even through PrEP does an amazing job at protecting you from HIV, it doesn’t also protect you from other STIs.
Taking PrEP is easy and so is starting it! All you need to do is book an appointment with one of our clinics. During that visit you’re meet with one of our incredible PrEP team who will discuss PrEP with you further, do an HIV test, and draw some blood to make sure you are healthy enough to start a new medication. And that’s it! We’ll see you next month for your first PrEP check-up and to refill your meds for free!
Make your PrEP Appointment today: What are you waiting for? Take control of your sexual health and call call4care today to book your PrEP appointment at any of our MSM-friendly facilities for FREE or call our clinics directly to find out how you can start PrEP today. We’re open from Monday – Friday, 09h00 – 16h00. Call, WhatsApp or SMS 060 633 2512